Monday, March 9, 2015

Mary Magdaline

This is one of my favourite pieces that was used theatrically. The town I live in actually has several dance companies - and I was called upon a few times to oblige them musically. Admitedly, I also did a couple of performances where I did a bit of dancing myself, namely jazz and tap.

Originally, this was one of two parts. This first part would establish the dark shadow that was once Mary's past. The second half would portray her redemption into a life of light and worship. The second part was more positive, warm and energetic - still based on the same/similar tune.

The coreographer had found a different tune for the second part of Mary's story, but really enjoyed what I had composed, since it captured what needed to be expressed through the dance.

Immediately it's a little nod to 'Remembering Petticoat Lane' from the Jurassic Park Soundtrack, by John Williams.



Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment