Friday, March 6, 2015

Nature's Africa

When I used to do graphic design work, there were many occasions where I would create a design only for the client to say something along the lines of, "I really, really like it, but could you make it less corporate and more kid-friendly?"
It became good practice to be able to re-theme something, because you could still retain the core idea, whilst just fashioning it as to appeal or gesture towards something else.

In this case, I was asked to do a PSA (public service announcement) around the beauty of nature, the majesty of creation and the diversity of all the fauna and flora. It was a lot of fun to do, but towards the end of the project, the director - Deryck Broom - reminded me that the video wasn't just ANY nature - it was Africa's nature.

And seeing as I'd already neared completion of the piece, it was either redo the entire thing from scratch, or re-theme what I already had. The latter was the option I took, which lead to this finished piece that was approved and used.

Quite simply, all I really did was swap certain classical instruments with instruments that were more ethnic and African. A flute would become a panpipe, orchestral drums became African drums, etc.

Resulting in the finished piece:


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment